Monday, June 11, 2012

That Pesky Mending Basket...And Life's Other Trivialities

It sits there in the corner, quietly glaring at me... that pesky mending basket. I have everything I need right here within arm's reach to fix whatever is in there. Why is it, I wonder, that I procrastinate it so much? In a desperate search for a particular crochet thread I was looking for the other day, I actually went through the thing. I found a towel that just needs a crochet edging (about 2 hours of work); a bag of fabric I've saved to make a color block top that's going to be adorable (what's the holdup, it's summer?); and a brand new stack of hand towels I bought Friday to celebrate cleaning and organizing my bathroom.  Nothing too scary there.

Now its counterpart, in one of my dresser drawers, is scarier. It's full of things that are too big for me that need to be altered (or gotten rid of).  I'm not sure why, but I have this thing about using Tailors. I know they're out there, I'm sure they do a great job, and their prices aren't that painful. So why, I wonder, do I not use them? I could get this entire pile of really neat clothes fixed up where I could enjoy them. Hmm... I'll have to think on that! Maybe it's because my mom didn't use tailors. I have no idea.

I've been in search-and-destroy mode in earnest the whole last week. I actually went through my linen closet, refolded, stacked and organized everything. It's wonderful! Went through all the bathroom drawers and cabinets another day, threw out 3 whole Walmart sacks full of stuff I just don't need. Feels fabulous! Found nail polishes in at least 10 different locations. They're all happily together now. So with this organization all feeling so great, why is it I fight it so much?

On the agenda for this week are the remaining hall storage closet, my bedroom knick-knacks, and some kitchen cabinet reorganization. Once that is done... I get to move on to my huge project for this summer... the ATTIC.

When I returned to the farm after our house-hunting trip here, I was looking over the pictures. Seeing the big empty attic gave me the idea of finding some attic craft room ideas. The first thing I came across was the photo of Martha Stewart's attic craft room in her Connecticut home. Oh my goodness – I realized I was about to have the identical attic, except sitting backward!  Now of course hers is all finished beautifully with her entire line of craft storage furniture, and mine is unfinished except having a plywood floor. But I still have great hopes for mine!

Because of all my health issues that were ongoing when we moved in here, I basically did "survival unpacking" and stopped there. I have a whole attic full of unpacked moving boxes! So that is my huge project... to unpack everything, organize it all, get it where it belongs, and get rid of what I don't need. It would be a dream come true to have this huge attic as my little crafty hangout!

No comments:

Inbox Dollars